Mental disorders are becoming an increasingly serious problem for health organizations as more occurrences of mental illness such as anxiety disorders, panic disorders and depression are being reported not to mention their negative impact on those afflicted with these disorders.
Below is a list of the top 10 most common mental disorders in America. Each one has its own ICD-10 (International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems) classification.
1. Major Depression: Pervasive and persistent low mood. Low-self esteem and lost of interest or pleasure in normally enjoyable activities. ICD-10 F32, F33
2. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Excessive, uncontrollable and often irrational worry. Excessive worry which often interferes with daily functioning. ICD-10 F41
3. Obsessive-compulsive Disorder: Feels the need to check things repeatedly or performs certain routines repeatedly, e.g. hand washing. ICD-10 F42
4. Bipolar Disorder: Periods of elevated mood and periods of depression. Elevated mood is significant and is known as mania or hypomania. ICD-10 F31
5. Schizophrenia: Abnormal social behaviour and failure to recognize what is real. Symptoms include false beliefs, confused thinking or auditory hallucinations. ICD-10 F20
6. Autism: Neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by impaired social interaction verbal and non-verbal communication, and restricted and repetitive behaviour. ICD-10 F84
7. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): Neurodevelopmental psychiatric disorder. Significant problems with executive functions which cause attention deficits and hyperactivity. ICD-10 F90
8. Eating Disorder: Abnormal eating habits that negatively affect a person's physical or mental health. They include binge eating disorder, anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa to name but a few. ICD-10 F50
9. Post-traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD): Can develop after a person is exposed to one or more traumatic events, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, terrorism or other threats on a person's life. ICD-10 F43
10. Substance Abuse: Substance abuse is a mental disorder brought on by behaviour. In this case consuming substances with addictive properties. ICD-10 F10, F19